Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Our Garden


I had the best weekend.  Because it was Mother’s Day weekend we got to do what I wanted to do and I wanted to put in our garden.  Thankfully my girls were all for it because it was a full weekend of work.  Normally we would just do up our flower pots and plant a new perennial or two.  This year we put in our long awaited garden. 

Over Memorial Day weekend last year we spent five solid days putting up 187 feet of brand new cedar fencing and re-landscaping the front yard.  We nearly killed ourselves in the process because it turned out to be far more work than one anticipates. 

The backyard was not completed as we had hoped but we did get one thing started back there.  We recycled the old fence posts and made raised planting boxes out of them.  We then hauled in a truck load of dirt from my parent’s place to fill them.  The rest of the backyard remained hideous.  So much so I didn’t take a picture of it.  Too embarrassing! 

On Saturday we added on another section to the planting beds and used up most of the last remaining posts.  Then we set up the drip irrigation system (the one for Dummies) and planted the beds. 

Ready for planting

Then we cleaned and cleared and re-stacked and re-organized and raked until the yard looked like a yard again.  Then we collapsed. 

On Sunday, Mother’s Day, the girls fixed me a lovely breakfast and I got to open the gifts they had made for me at school.  Then we headed off to the store to get more supplies for the garden.  We were pretty eager to get started again. 

We also had to buy new pickling cucumber and chive seeds as our old ones didn’t sprout.  We planted those in peat pots as well as some more herbs for our herb garden.  Everything else did just fine and most of it is already planted in the garden. 


We built another planting bed out of leftover lumber from our deck construction and then filled it up with dirt to plant corn and cucumbers.  We finished the day out by mowing and trimming the lawn, weeding and getting everything watered.  Everything looks beautiful and we are excited to watch our garden grow and see how well it does this year.  It is our first real garden. 

For Mother’s day the girls bought me six new perennials to add to the flowerbeds we put in last year.  I still need to get them planted, but I feel like we are off to a really great start.  I’ll keep you posted on how it all comes about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...